What we’ve accomplished in the last 20 years:
- World-first project to transform cancer diagnosis and personalise treatment planning within 7 years, part of the 'Moonshot' to end cancer.
- Found a single genetic defect can cause cleft lip and palate.
- Fate map of the early embryo to help us understand many developmental problems.
- Identification of the components of telomerase, which will be important for treating 85% of all cancers.
- Discovery of the Alternative Lengthening of Telomeres (ALT) mechanism, which can lead to treatments for the other 15% of cancers.
- Developing a blood test for ALT cancers that will allow physicians to diagnose and plan treatments for cancers such as aggressive glioblastoma brain tumours.
- Partnering with the Children’s Hospital Westmead on a cure for genetic liver disease, with clinical trials about to begin.
- Discovering and developing a new class of drugs for treating epilepsy.